05 June 2007

Montevideo, Capital of my heart



After the initial rough around the edges appearence, I really had a great time. Montevideo is so laid back I could have been in San Fran, Ca. Every street has London Plain trees which give it this great feel, and it definetly was the safest city Id been in a while. I just walked around with the swiss girl the first day while alternately bargaining for a new mate and bombilla, and looking in museums (all free). Every person I met was so friendly, and the girls, wow. I think the girls in Uruguay are the most beautiful. Well, the Argintinas are nice as well, but they all seem so full of themselves that I feel like Im back in LA. The Uruguayenas on the other hand are very innocent and just drop dead gorgeous.

While in Brazil my budget sort of flew out the window, so I decided to get back on track here in Uruguay. The first night I made some great lentils in the kitchen, and a sandwich for lunch the next day. The 200 grams of cheese, 200 gs salami, giant loaf of bread, 6 eggs, 200 gs lentils, 2 onions, head of garlic, tomato, and 2 carrots all together cost...4$! I was stoked, food for two days for almost nothing, I love this place. The next day we walked to the beach and watched kite surfers for a while. When we walked over to say hi to them one of the guys invited us to their house for a party on saturday night. Then we went to a farmers market\garage sale and got some amazing grapes and arrugula, and a CD of Puro Rock from Uruguay.

That night I started drinking beer at about 1 am and went to some clubs with the Brazillian guys. It was great fun, dancing and drinking and all that, and no smoking inside, what a progressive country! The best and worst thing were the girls. They were all so beautiful, but completely unaccessible. I wasnt looking for a girlfriend but just someone to dance with a little. That proved to be impossible as the guys are so aggressive, that girls are afraid to even talk to you.

Anyway, made it home at around 6:30 and slept most of Sat in anticipation of a great night on Sat. This night was different. It started with going over to another Brazillians house, a guy who had stayed at the hostel for a few months but later moved to an apt in the center of town. He was actually on his way to Michigan, Ann Arbor to work on his PhD in Sociology This proved very usefull as the brazillians and I started on a night long discourse on social inequities and the problems of raising children in this day and age in the United States and Brazil, and why people were so different in Uruguay. We also foreyed into Politics, with the main question being, how in the hell did Bush win a second time??? The discusion tailed off at around the 9th liter of beer at which point we left for Almodobar, one of the big clubs. The night reminded me of Spain, with tons of people in the streets and lots of little clubs along two main streets. We had a great time dancing and being rejected by girls, when finally at around 8 in the morning we went to, god forbid, McDonalds and continued our analysis of the United States, with the conclusion that if people have everything, as in the States, they will be as (or more) unhappy as people who have nothing.

After a long sleep I left to Colonia to sleep and ponder the questions of the Universe, or at least this planet.

No comments: