28 May 2007

Iguazu Falls and Swiss guy

When I finally arrived in Iguazu I looked for a posada with my own room which I needed after sharing with 6 anonymous people in BA. I found one where I was the only person, and proceded to wash clothes without realizing that the extreme humidity would induce mildew and not drying of my clothes. After a wholly unsatisfying lunch I went for a satifying hike among the forest which surround Pto. Iguazu. After a great night sleep, I took off on the earliest bus to Iguazu, ok the 5th of the day, but whos counting? The falls were everything I thought and much more! They were the most powerfull falls I have ever seen, especially now bc it is the rainy season and they are swollen with brown water from the jungle. I guess I cant even really put into words how cool they were, but eating lunch with this swiss guy I met at the edge of the biggest one, we agreed that lonely planet had it right, this is what europeans must have thought the edge of the world looked like. After a 8 km hike to another fall, we went back and had a lunch-dinner of all you can eat Parilla for 5 dollars. At this point I decided I would go to Brazil using my German passport which would help me avoid the visa necessary for US citizens (along with the hefty 150$ price). I tried to book a flight to Rio, failed and decided to bus it (20hrs). First the swiss guy and I went to the Itaipu dam which according to the dam people produces the most hydroelectric energy in the world. A little about the swiss guy: He was at the tail end of an 8 month journey and was a little disillusiuoned with travelling. Also he was quite the addict, with cigarettes and mate chief among them. He did manage to connect me with this great site, hospitality club, with which you can stay with locals all over the world for free! I signed up already. However, later that day at the Bus station, I decided against Rio, and instead went to Isla Santa Caterina!

1 comment:

Dars said...

I remember my trip to the falls--was the coolest bus I've ever been on. As for Brazil, that visa is a killer! It was less expensive to fly to South Africa than cross into Brazil... hmmm have you checked out flights to Cape Town lately? Hope you are still having a blast... I just returned from Guatemala and I'm sitting on the beach in Hawaii. Life is pretty rough for both of us it seems.