29 May 2007

Brazil, land of sun, surf and spandex!

Well, last time I left you guys I was on my way on an overnight bus to the Isla Santa Caterina, also known as Floripa and as Florinopopoulis. As I got on the bus I made the acquaintance of a nice Kiwi (from New Zealand) Virginia who now lives in London. We talked for a while and decided to try to get a place together on the Island as it is cheaper to get doubles than singles. Wow did we luck out, we got a place with two bedrooms, a porch, a a great view of the nicest beach, playa ingles! It was so great to be there! It was sunny and warm, and the ocean was so nice to swim in. The beach we were at didnt have too many waves, but there was one only a few minutes away that had some pretty big ones, so I set out to do some surfing! But apparently no. During the months of May and June surfing is prohibited on the island so that fisherman can catch a particular type of fish. Now Im really not so sure about this as I never saw the fisherman actually fishing, more just drinking beer on the beach, and I could really not figure out how in any way surfing would affect their ability to sit on the beach and drink, but there it was.
The best part of Brazil is the people. They are without doubt the nicest and warmest people I have ever met. They helped me with everything, from figuring out the right bus to take to where to get a haircut. The man at the front desk of out hotel was so happy all the time it was amazing, he always had a smile on his face, and was always there to help. I think after working in a hotel for a whgile I would not be the happiest of people but he was! Anyway, I did have a great time for three days, relaxing on the beach reading, sunbathing, and drinking the best beer; Antarctica Pilsen. I began formulating a plan at this point and decided to head south and eventually back to BA to fly to Chile to save money on transportation and lodging. Therefore after a few days I headed to Porto Allegre, the Soccer capital of South America!

No comments: